- Answer all questions in section A and B
- All working for numerical questions must be clearly shown;
- Non programmable silent electronic calculators may be used
- The paper is out of 80 marks;
You may use the following constants where necessary
- Speed of Sound is 330ms-1
- Refractive index of glass = 3/2
- Refractive index of water = 4/3
SECTION A (25 Marks)
Answer all the questions in this section
- Figure 1 below shows a ray of light incident on a plane mirror at O.
The mirror is rotated through an angle of 250 about an axis perpendicular to the paper .Determine the angle through which the reflected ray is rotated (2mks)
- A car battery requires topping up with distilled water occasionally. Explain why this is necessary and why distilled water is used. (2mks)
- Figure 2 below shows two parallel current carrying conductors A and B cutting through a piece of cardboard.
- Sketch the magnetic field pattern produced. (2mks)
- Identify the nature of the force between them (1mk)
- Distinguish between ultraviolet rays and infrared (1mk)
- A student synchronizes his watch with a church bell 2km away. The following morning, there is a wind. .He notes that the church bell sounded 0.15s later. Assuming his watch was correct and bell was sounded at the usual time. Determine the direction and the speed of the wind. (Assuming the speed of sound in still air is 340m/s) (3mks)
- Figure 3 below shows an illustration of a good storage magnets
State and explain the material suitable for Y (2mks)
- Figure 4 below shows a circular wave approaching a plane barrier in uniform medium.
On the diagram sketch the reflected waves in water (2mks)
- A negatively charged rod is brought near the cap of a leaf electroscope. The cap is them earthed momentarily by touching with finger. Finally the rod is withdrawn .State and explain the observation made. (2mks)
- The following equation represents a decay series
- Identify radiation x. (1mk)
- Determine the values of a & b. (2mks)
- Figure 5 below shows a circuit where a battery of e.m.f 4.5V, Switches A &B, two capacitors (C1=0.6µF and C2=1.0µF) and a voltmeter are connected.
- Determine the charge on C1 when the switch A is closed and switch B is open. (2mks)
- What is the effective capacitance C when both switches A and B are closed? (2mks)
- Describe the energy charges that occurs in the cathode ray tube. (1mk)