- Answer all the questions
- You are the secretary of the Young Farmers club in your school. In consultation with the chairperson, you call a meeting for 18th March 2015 at 4.00pm. Out of the total membership of 15, 10 attend 4 are absent with apology and 1 does not send any apology.
The agenda is as follows.
- Confirmation of previous minutes
- Matters arising
- Negotiations with the school bursar for the purchase of tomatoes.
- Schedule for the harvesting of the tomatoes.
- Sharing of the income.
Record the minutes of the meeting. (20mks)
Read the passage below and fill each blank space with the most appropriate word. (10 marks)
Every year, the government of Kenya 1______________ hundreds of billions of shillings in tax revenue 2___________ smuggling. Dumping of sub standard goods 3___________ counterfeit products poses another 4_____________ threat 5______________ the stability of the economy.
Local traders say smuggling 6______________further fuelled by economic growth registered in the last two years. They attribute this 7_______________ to rising demand for imported goods, especially electronic 8______________,cars and petroleum products.
And while import volumes 9 _____________ increased substantially in the past two years, facilities and equipment 10______________the Kilindini harbour, Mombasa and Kenyatta International Airport (J.K.I.A) are overstretched.
Read the following poem and answer the questions that follow
When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone between my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope
With what I must enjoy contented least,
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising
Haply I think on thee, and then my state
(Like to the lark at the break of day arising)
From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven’s gate,
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings,
That then I scorn to change my state with Kings.
(William Shakespear’ssonnet 29)
- List any four words that rhyme in this poem. (2mrks)
- Give two instances of the use of alliteration in this poem. (2mrks)
- How would you say the words in brackets in this poem?(line 11) (2mrks)
- How would you perform the last two lines of this poem. (1mrk)
For each of the following sentence indicate whether you would say it with a falling or rising intonation. (3mrks)
- Which hospital does Khadija goto?
- Lusuli never liked people who told lies.
- They cook very good food in Belcibo restaurant.
- You have been asked to make a speech about the dangers of drug and substance abuse. State four effective ways of ending such a speech. (4mrks)
- You are giving a speech without the public address system . How do you ensure you are heard by everybody? (3mrks)
For each set of words below, underline the odd one out. (3mrks)
- Cough bough dough
- Think thy thigh
- Not Knot Note
Consider the following conversation between Kombo and Shirandula and then explain the short comings in Shirandula listening skills. (6mrks)
Kombo: Before she died of throat cancer, my sister felt a lot of pain and lost a lot of weight.
Shirandula: Talking about that I had a backache last night. I tell you I couldn’t sleep.
Kombo: Yes, so about my sister……….
Shirandula: You remind me about my own sister. In fact she wrote to me last week telling me about her son’s fees. She believes I have more money than I need and that I should give her some.
Kombo: Well, may be you have lots of money. But thank you for being such a good listener! (stands up to go)
Shirandula: What! Have I offended you?
For each of these words construct two sentences to bring out the difference in their meaning.(4mrks)