INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Write your name and admission number in the spaces provided above,
- Sign and write the date of the examination in the spaces provided above.
- Answer all the questions.
- Answers must be written in the spaces provided in the question paper.
- Additional papers must not be inserted.
- This paper consists of 10 printed pages.
- Candidates should check the question paper to ascertain that all pages are printed as indicated.
- Candidates should answer the questions in English.
For Examiner's Use Only
|Question||Maximum Score||Candidate's Score|
- Name two support tissues in herbaceous plants. (2 marks)
- State the role of cones in the eye. (2 marks)
- Which Biological discipline informed the ban of plastic bag use in Kenya? (1 mark)
- What property of the plastic bags necessitated the ban? (1 mark)
- Name cell organelles that would be abundant in the following cells: (2 marks)
- A secretory cell.
- Muscle cell.
- Define the following terms: (2 marks)
- Carrying capacity.
- Ecological niche.
- Study the diagram below and answer the questions that follow.
- Name the process under investigation. (1 mark)
- State the property of structure that allows the process named above. (1 mark)
- State the significance of the above process in plants. (2 marks)
- Define the term photosynthesis. (1 mark)
- Give two disadvantages of external fertilization in amphibians. (2 marks)
- A form three student at Alliance High School, set up the following experiment.
- What was the aim of the experiment? (1 mark)
- Suggest and explain the expected observation if the setup is left for two days. (2 marks)
- Name two disorders caused by mutation of sex chromosomes in humans. (2 marks)
- State two applications of anaerobic respiration in industry (2 marks)
- Why do living organisms eliminate metabolic wastes? (1 mark)
- State two properties of starch. (2 marks)
- Explain the significance of sunken stomata in xerophytes. (3 marks)
- What was the limitation of Lamarck's theory of "use and disuse". (1 mark)
- Explain the concept of adaptive radiation. (3 marks)
- Study the diagram below represents a bone obtained from a mammal.
- Identify the bone, (1 mark)
- State the functions of the structures labeled J and K. (2 marks)
- Identify the bone of the appendicular skeleton that articulates with the bone above. (1 mark)
- Name a trait that exhibits discontinuous variation in animals. (1 mark)
- State three differences between the products of mitosis and those of meiosis. (3 marks)
- List two functional proteins. (2 marks)
- A student was asked to carry out a starch test on a leaf. Give a reason for the following activities.
- Boiling the leaf. (1 mark)
- Dipping the leaf in methylated spirit over a water bath. (2 marks)
- Rinsing the leaf with water. (1 mark)
- Complete the following table of blood groups, with a tick (V) where blood groups are compatible and a cross (*) where they are incompatible. (4 marks)
A B AB O A x ✓ B x ✓ AB ✓ ✓ O x ✓
- Distinguish between diffusion and active transport (2 marks)
- Account for stomatal closure, according to the starch-sugar interconversion theory. (4 marks)
- State one adaptation of the inner membrane of the mitochondrion. (2 marks)
- What are the salient features of the members of phylum Arthropoda. (3 marks)
- The diagram below illustrates a response by a certain plain
- Name the type of response. (1 mark)
- What is the survival value of the response named in (a), above? (1 mark)
- Explain how the response named above occurs. (3 marks)
- Give three functions of green plants in an aquatic habitat. (3 marks)
- A food test was carried out on a urine sample from a young lady to determine if she was suffering from diabetes mellitus.
- What food test was carried out? (1 mark)
- What was the colour of the sample at the end of the test procedure if the test was negative? (1 mark)
- The hormone used to manage diabetes mellitus is administered intravenously, why can't it be administered orally? (1 mark)
- Name the hormone in (c), above. (1 mark)
- What are the functions of water during germination? (3 marks)
- What property of the cell membrane makes it:
- Temperature sensitive? (1 mark)
- Selectively permeable? (1 mark)
Download Biology Trial Exams Paper 1 Questions - Alliance Boys High School Mock December 2020.
Tap Here to Download for 50/-
Get on WhatsApp for 50/-
- ✔ To read offline at any time.
- ✔ To Print at your convenience
- ✔ Share Easily with Friends / Students
Join our whatsapp group for latest updates