CLOTHING AND CONSTRUCTION.
A patterns of a girl’s dress is provided. You are advised to study the sketches, instructions and the layout carefully before you being the test.
- Pattern pieces.
A – Skirt front and back
B – Bodice front
C- Bodice back
E – Back neck facing
- Plain lightweight cotton fabric 60cm long and 90cm wide.
- Sewing threat to math the fabric.
- One large envelop.
Using the materials provided, lay out and make the LEFT HALF of a girl’s dress to show the following processes;
- Cutting out (13 ½ mks)
- Making of the shoulder seam using an open seam. (8mks)
- Joining the back neck facing to the extended front facing, attaching the facing to finish the neck line. (16mks)
- Making the bodice side and underarm seam using a French seam. (11mks)
- Preparing and attaching the sleeve to the armhole. Neaten a quarter of the armhole seam from the underarm using loop stitches; manage the sleeve hem with tacking stitches. (19mks)
- Preparing the skirt using gathers and attaching it to the bodice. (12mks)
- Neatening the free edge of the facings. (4mks)
- Overall presentation. (6 ½ mks)
At the end of the examination, firmly sew onto your work, on a single fabric a label bearing your name and index number. Remove the needle, pins and loose threads from your work. Fold your work neatly and place it in the envelop provided. Do not put scarps of fabric in the envelop. Do not seal the envelop.