Download PDF for future reference Install our android app for easier access
GEOGRAPHY Paper 2
- Answer section A and question 6 to 10 each on a separate foolscap.
- This paper has two sections A and B.
- This paper consists of 4 printed pages.
- Check the question paper to ascertain that all the pages are printed as indicated and that no questions are missing.
Answer ALL the questions in this section.
- Name one exotic breed of beef cattle reared both in Kenya and Argentina. (1 mk)
- Define the following terms.
- mixed farming (2 mks)
- transhumance (2 mks)
- State three measures the Kenya government has taken in its efforts to manage and conserve fisheries. (3 mks)
- Name two fish species found in both North East Atlantic and North-East pacific fishing grounds. (2 mks)
- Apart from solar and wind, name two other renewable sources of energy. (2 mks)
- Give two reasons why the Kenyan government is planning to use nuclear energy. (2 mks)
- Define the term containerization. (2 mks)
- State three disadvantages of using pipeline as a means of transport. (3 mks)
- Define the following terms.
- regional trade (2 mks)
- invisible exports (2 mks)
- State two problems facing trade in Kenya. (2 mks)
Answer question No. 6 and any other TWO questions from this section.
- The table below shows hypothetical values of petroleum used by various county governments in Kenya in hundred thousands of litres. Use it to answer the questions that follow.
|County ||2015 ||2016 ||2017 |
|Mombasa ||35.0 ||20.1 ||25.2 |
|Nakuru ||25.3 ||15.0 ||17.1 |
|Kisumu ||20.2 ||15.7 ||25.4 |
|Nairobi ||40.4 ||18.5 ||30.6 |
Petroleum ('00,000 of litres)
- Draw a divided rectangle of length 10cm for the year 2015. (7 mks)
- Describe two changes in consumption of petroleum over the years. (2 mks)
- State two limitations of using divided rectangles in data presentation. (2 mks)
- State three conditions for the formation of petroleum. (3 mks)
- Name the method of mining used to extract oil. (1 mk)
- Name three other methods used to extract minerals ocurring deep below the surface of the earth. (3 mks)
- State two problems likely to be caused by oil mining in Kenya. (2 mks)
- State two ways in which oil mining will positively impact the Turkana county in Kenya. (2 mks)
- State three problems facing petroleum mining in the Middle East. (3 mks)
- State three physical factors that favor coffee growing in Kenya. (3 mks)
- What is the role of Coffee Board of Kenya? (2 mks)
- Describe how coffee is processed. (6 mks)
- Compare coffee farming in Kenya and Brazil. (6 mks)
- State five problems facing coffee farming in Kenya. (5 mks)
- Define land rehabilitation. (2 mks)
- Apart from draining swamps and irrigation, identify two other methods through which land has been reclaimed in Kenya. (2 mks)
- Explain three factors that led to location of Perkerra irrigation scheme. (6 mks)
- State four problems facing the Perkerra Irrigation Scheme. (4 mks)
- State two differences between land reclamaton in Kenya and Netherlands. (4 mks)
- Give four benefits of the delta plan project. (4 mks)
- Name three crops grown in the polders of Netherlands. (3 mks)
- Name two major service industries in Kenya. (2 mks)
- Identify the industrial centres labelled A, B and C. (3 mks)
- Name two electronic industrial centres in Japan. (2 mks)
- Explain three factors which have favoured the development of car manufacturing and electronic industries in Japan. (6 mks)
- State three reasons why Kenya aims to become industrialized by year 2030. (3 mks)
- State three causes of industrial inertia. (3 mks)
- Explain three problems resulting from industrialization. (6 mks)
- The age-sex pyramids below represent the population structure of two countries. Use them to answer questions (a) and (b).
- Name one country from which each pyramid (X and Y) was derived. (2 mks)
- Describe five characteristics of the population represented in pyramid Y. (5 mks)
- Identify two methods used in drawing the pyramids shown above. (2 mks)
- Name two primary sources of population data. (2 mks)
- State two disadvantages of age-sex pyramids. (2 mks)
- Define the term fecundity. (2 mks)
- Is Kenya's fertility rate declining or increaseing? (1 mk)
- Give three reasons to account for Kenya's fertility rate in C(ii) above. (3 mks)
- Describe three measures that have been taken in Kenya to reduce infant mortality. (6 mks)