Click the link below to download as a full set with all the subjects. (PDF)
ALLIANCE HIGH SCHOOL
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Answer all the questions in this paper.
- Imagine you are the secretary of Peace club in your school. You intend to hold a joint meeting with officials of The Peace club of two neighbouring schools to discuss the upcoming Peace conference. Write a Memorandum to the Peace Club officials to attend the meeting. Copy to the Patron.(10 mks)
- The Patron expects to treat the officials of the Peace Club of the two neighbouring schools to a dish of your choice. Provide the school head with a recipe for the dish.(10 mks)
Read the passage below and fill in the blank space with the most appropriate word.
Ethnocentrisms is the ..... that our own group or culture - whatever it may be - is superior to all other groups or cultures, Because of ethnocentrism, we ..... with our group or culture and see its values, beliefs and customs as "right" or "natural" - in ....... to the values, beliefs and customs of other groups or cultures, which we tend to think of as "wrong" or "unnatural".
Ethnocentrism is part of every culture and it can ........ a positive role in creating group pride and loyalty. But it can also ........ to prejudice and hostility towards different racial, ethnic, religious or cultural groups. To be an effective public speaker in a ........ world, you need to keep in mind - that all people have their special beliefs and customs.
Avoiding ethnocentrism does not ...... that you must agree with the values and practices of all groups and cultures. At times you might try to ....... people of different cultures to their traditional ways of doing things. If you are to be successful, however, you must show ........ for the cultures of the people you address. You need to adapt your messages to the values and expectations of your listeners.
Read the poem below and answer the questions that follow.
My love is like ice, and I to five;
How comes it then that this her cold so great
Is not dissolv'd through my so hot desire?
But harder grows the more I entreat?
Or how comes it that my exceeding heat
Is not delayed by her heart frozen cold,
But that I burn much more in boiling sweat,
And feel my flames augmented manifold?
What more miraculous thing may be told?
That fire, which all things melts should harden ice,
And ice, which is congealed with senseless cold,
Should kindle five by wonderful device?
Such is power of love in gentle mind,
That it can alter all the course of kind.
- Describe the rhyme scheme of this poem. (2mks)
- How else does the poet create rhythm in the poem? (3mks)
- For each of the following words used in the poem write another that is pronounced the same way.(3mks)
- If you were to recite this poem, which words would you stress in the last line, why? (2mks)
- Explain four barriers to effective listening. (4mks)
- Use stress marks to indicate the stressed syllable in each of the following words. (4mks)
- State and explain four aspects of vocal (voice) control a good public speaker uses. (4mks)
- For each of the following words, write another that is pronounced the same way. (4mks)
- For each of the following letters, write two words to show that the letter can be pronounced in as many ways.(4mks)
- Read the poem below and answer the questions that follow.