INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Answer ALL the questions
- Question ONE should be answered in the sheet(s) of foolscap provided
- Candidates should ascertain that all pages are printed and that no questions are missing
FOR EXAMINERS USE ONLY
Question 1: FUNCTIONAL WRITING (20 MARKS)
You are the secretary of Debating club in your school. The club recently held a meeting where only 8 out of the 15 members attended. 3 including the vice chairperson sent apologies. The whereabouts of the rest was not known. The club patron also attended the meeting. Election of officials, income generating activities in the club and preparation of the great debate; were among the main issues discussed. Apart from the main issues, members raised two issues from the previous meeting. Write down the minutes of the meeting.
Question 2: CLOZE TEST (10 MARKS)
Fill in each of the blank spaces in the passage below with the most appropriate word.
Gender (1) ____________________________ against the African woman is not only (2) _____________ but it is also (3) __________________________ in African societies. (4) ________________ factors combine to disadvantage the African woman. First, we have (5) ________________________ beliefs about the ‘natural’ inferiority of the woman.
(6) ______________, many negative cultural (7) _________________ like female genital mutilation, bride price and confinement to specified spaces demean the African woman. Thirdly, the (8) ________________ poverty and ignorance prevailing in many African societies (9) __________________ the African woman the means, the knowledge and the power to make positive decisions (10) __________________ her life.
Question 3: ORAL SKILLS (30 MARKS)
- Provide another word pronounced as the following. (4mks)
- From the sets of words given below, identify one that is pronounced differently in the sound underlined. (3marks)
- Cook good book fool
- Wheat threaten bread breast
- Work worn hurt warm
- Identify silent letters in the following words. (2mks)
- Jane is shortlisted among the applicants for the post of secretary in Witeithie High school. She is to appear for an interview in a week’s time.
- Statetwo things she should do to boost her confidence ahead of the interview. (2mks)
- Why would it be necessary for Jane to greet the interviewing panel? (2mks)
- List three things about Jane’s voice that would point at her lack of confidence. (3mks)
- Supposing Jane does not succeed in the interview, write her response to the panelists in not more than ten words. (2mks)
- State whether you would use a rising or falling intonation in the following sentences. (4mks)
- How have you been?
- Has she been here?
- What a shame!
- I will come.
- Pick out all the words from the list below that end with /z/ sound. (3mks)
- Underline the syllable that is stressed in the following words. (3mks)
- Supposing your book is filled up. Excuse yourself to a teacher and ask him or her to give you another one. (2mks)
Question 1: FUNCTIONAL WRITING
Format - 8 marks
Heading - 2 marks (must have purpose, venue, date and time.)
List of attendance:
Present 1/2 mark
Apologies 1/2 mark
Absent 1/2 mark must be 4
In attendance 1/2 mark
Preliminaries - 1 mark
Matters arising - 1 mark
A. O.B - 1/2 mark
Adjournment - 1/2 mark
Signing off (Secretary and Chairperson - must be blank) - 1 mark
Content - 8 marks
Matters arising - should mention 2 at 1 mark - 2 marks
Election - must have a list of officials - 2 marks
Income generating activities at least 2 @ 1 mark
The great debate 2 marks
Language - 4 marks
A - 4
B - 3
C - 2
Question 2: CLOZE TEST (10 MARKS)
- Several / Many (capital letter)
- Secondly (capital letter
Question 3: ORAL SKILLS
- prepare her documents to verify her copies during the interview
- prepare her dressing for the interview
- Plan on her response about personal information.
- rehearse on the etiquette of the job.
- She should greet the panel to show composure/ friendliness.
- To ease her tension
- To have a way of starting the conversation.
(Any 2 x1)
- Lack of confidence in a voice
- Incoherence in speech
- Being inaudible.
- hesitating and getting stack at mid statements.
- Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the interview
(Capture gratitude for the chance) (2mks)
(should be actual response and not reported)
- Rising (1 mark each)
(1/2 x 6 = 3)
- Col.league (must underline the correct syllable x1)
- Excuse me (Sir/Madam/Mrs.../Mr…/miss…/)
- My book is filled up. I kindly request you to give me/issue me with another one.
- Polite interruption 1 mk
Request 1 mk 2 marks