Give two branches in the study of history and government. (1mk
- social history
- political history
- economic history
Identify two types of electronic sources of information on history and government. (2mks
- audio visual (television)
- data bank/ computers
Identify two economic activities of the early man. (2mks
- crop farming
Identify two theories that explain the origin of Agriculture. (2mks
- independent theory
- diffusion theory
Identify one social effect of the interaction of the Somali with the Bantu before 1200 AD. (1mk
- age- set system
State the main economic activity of Purko Maasai during the pre-colonial period. (1mk
- nomadic pastrolism /livestock keeping.
Name two factors that enabled Arabs traders to come to Kenyan Coast by 1500 AD.
- accessibility of Kenyan Coast through the sea.
- availability of dhows
- Presence of monsoon winds
- Availability of capital
Name two historical monuments built by the Portuguese along the Kenyan Coast. (2mks
- Fort Jesus
- Vasco-da-gama pillar
Name the earliest missionary society to send missionaries in Kenya during the 19th century.(1mk
- Church missionary society
- Church missionary society
Give one symbol of National Unity in Kenya. (1mk
- National flag
- National anthem
- Coat of Arms
- National seal
- Public seal
Mention two methods of trade.
- Barter method of trade
- Currency method of trade
Highlight two effects of local trade. (2mks
- Made essential goods available
- improved the standard of living of those involved
- Led to the growth of towns which were former trade centres
Give two advantages of human transport. (2mks
- Readily available
- Rare cases of accidents
- Offer door to door services
State one feature of a cell phone. (1mk
- Sending/receiving messages
Identify two nations which pioneered space exploration . (2mks
SECTION B (60 marks)
Identify five factors that led to the migration of the Agikuyu. (5mks
- Search of land to cultivate
- Escape from hostile neighbours and external attacks
- Internal family feuds and conflicts.
- Population pressure on limited land
- Human and animal diseases e.g. anthrax
- Natural calamities such as famines, floods etc
- The spirit of adventure
- Territorial expansion using advanced iron working improvements
- Identify five factors that led to the migration of the Agikuyu. (5mks
State five problems faced by Trans-Saharan Traders. (5mk
- Long and tiresome journey across the desert.
- Inadequate water and food
- Extreme weather conditions of the desert- too cold at night and too hot during the day.
- Attack by hostile desert communities
- Lack of a common language for transaction of trade
- Frequent sand storm.
- Loss of direction in the desert.
- Attack by dangerous desert creatures- scorpions, snakes e.t.c.
- Insecurity because of declining and falling in kingdoms
- Exhaustion of trade goods especially gold
- Frequent shit of trade routes.
Explain the factors that led to the decline of Trans-Atlantic Trade. (10mks
- Industrial revolution in Europe- human labour was replaced with machines
- America’s independence of 1776 left the British without source of raw materials hence encouraged Africans to be retained in Africa to produce raw materials
- British economists urged that free people are more productive than enslaved people.
- Christian missionaries campaigned against slave trade.
- Slaves working against their masters
- French revolution of 1789 advocated for liberty and equality of all peopl
- British abolished slave trade and influenced other nations to do so
- State five problems faced by Trans-Saharan Traders. (5mk
Give three disadvantages of using boda boda bicycles and motorcycles as a means of transport(3mks
- They lead to congestion on roads
- They are limited to short distance
- They are limited to transporting small quantities of goods
- They cannot operate in extreme weather conditions
- Prone to accidents
Explain six negative effects of modern means of communication (12mks
- Noise pollution
- Addiction from prolonged use of devices like internets
- Expensive to obtain and maintain
- Increased cyber crimes
- Immorality – phonographic materials
- Erosion of culture
- Destructive warfare
- Give three disadvantages of using boda boda bicycles and motorcycles as a means of transport(3mks
SECTIION C (30 mks
State three ways of becoming a Kenyan citizen. (3mks
- By birth
- By registration
- By dual citizenship
Explain six political rights of a Kenyan citizen. (12mks
- Right to vote or be voted to an office
- Right to access justic
- Right to a fair hearing on the rule of law- public hearing before a court tribunal and right to adequate time and facilities for defence.
- Equity and freedom from discrimination by the state on basis of gender, status, health and ethnic and social origin.
- Freedom of peaceful demonstration, picketing and petition
- Right to form a political party, to recruit members and even campaign.
- Right to freedom and security
- Right to access to justice
- State three ways of becoming a Kenyan citizen. (3mks
Give five non – violent methods of conflict resolution (5mks
- Use of elders
- Religious leaders
- International agreements
Explain five factors that promote national unity in Kenya (10mks
- The constitution- guarantees equal rights and opportunities to all
- One government- recognized by every Kenya
- Education system- in all public schools
- Equal distribution of wealth and resources – through C.D.F
- Social and economic integration activities- trade, working, intermarriages, urbanization e.t.c.
- National language- Kiswahili and English
- National activities – National holidays, games, agricultural forums
- National symbols of unity
- National philosophies – Harambee, Nyayosism
- Common currency
- Mass media
- Give five non – violent methods of conflict resolution (5mks