- FUNCTIONAL WRITING (20 MARKS)
Applications are invited from interested and competent candidates to join Dreamland
Production, a music production company, as a music producer.
The interested candidates must be:
- Aged between 18-25 years
- Able to meet tight deadlines.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager
P. O. Box 14080- 20100
Write an application letter that would enable you to clinch the job. (20 marks)
- CLOZE TEST: (10 MARKS)
Read the passage below and fill in the blank spaces with the most appropriate word.
It was not until the second half of this century that the rights of the child became of international concern. (1) ___________________, children were generally classed (2) __________________ that group of persons who were under a legal disability, (3) __________________ women, idiots and lunatics. (4) ________________________ the industrial revolution in Europe, children (5) ____________________ used as labourers. (6) ___________________, during the wake of the women’s rights movement in ____________________ late 19th century in Europe and America, children’s rights issues created an awareness. In recent (8) ___________________, children’s rights are no longer (9) _____________________ together with women’s rights and are now (10) __________________________ their own place in the law; there has been a shift that has accorded children a special place in the law.
- ORAL SKILLS (30 MARKS)
Read the following oral poem and answer the questions that follow.
ESCAPE FROM THE CITY
I seek a quiet country life
Without the city’s burstling strife
I seek the sight of trees ablaze
Instead of streets that form amaze
- Describe the rhyme scheme of the above poem. (2 mks)
- Identify two mnemonic devices in this poem and state their effectiveness. (4 mks)
- Which words would you stress in line 3 and why? . (2 mks)
- How would you say the first line of this poem and why? (2 mks)
- Write two sentences; one with the word form as a noun and another as a verb. (2mks)
- Underline the word in which the vowel sound is different in the following sets of words. (4 mks)
- ship sheep sleep
- pull pool book
- bark park buck
- barn ban bag
- State whether the stress would fall on the first or second syllable on the word in bold by underlining. (4 mks)
- I don’t like associating with that rebel.
- Mary has a lot of respect for her elders.
- I will give you my contact address today.
- You can access the house through the back door.
- Underline the silent letters in the following words. (4 mks)
- For each of the words below, provide another word with the same pronunciation. (4 mks)
- Profit –
- mete –
- dough –
- key –
- Read the genre and answer the questions that follow.
How high up has he heaved his heavy hoe?
- Identify the genre above. (1 mk)
- Mention one characteristic of the above genre. (1 mk)
- It must be an official letter, if not deduct – 2AD
- Two addresses
- Receivers address specified in question
- Date (1 mk)
- Ref (1 mk) (must be relevant)
- Valediction – signature (1/2 mks)
name (1/2 mk)
- Content must mention the following:
- Kenyan citizen (1 mk)
- Aged between 18 – 25 years (1 mk)
- Creative (1 mk)
- Self-driven (1 mk)
- Able to meet tight deadlines (1 mk)
- Tone-formal (2 mks)
- Language (2 mks)
- Format (4 mks)
- Oral poem
- Rhyme scheme
aabb - It is a regular rhyme scheme
- Mnemonic devices
Assonance – without city’s burstling
It helps to create musicality in the poem
Alliteration – quiet, country
Assonance – seek, trees
- Seek, sight, trees, ablaze – because they are content words.
- I would say it with a falling intonation to indicate my final decision to go for a peaceful country life. The line is declarative statement.
- Accept any grammatically correct answer
It makes the poem easy to memorize
- Rhyme scheme
- Oral poem
- Stress in words
- profit – prophet
- mete – meat
- dough – doe
- key - quay
- Tongue twister
It is usually short
It is highly repetitive (repetition of a particular sound)
It is non-sensical