One of the reactions in the manufacture of nitric(V) acid involves catalytic oxidation of ammonia as shown in the equation.
4NH3(g)+ 5O2(g) 4NO(g) + 6H2O(g); ΔH=−909 kJmol−1
The reaction is carried out at a pressure of 10 atmospheres and a temperature of 900°C
- Other than nitric(V) acid, name another product that is formed.
- State and explain the effect on the position of equilibrium if the reaction is carried out.
- at 10 atmospheres pressure and 450°C;
- at 900 °C and 20 atmospheres pressure;
- in the absence of a catalyst.
- State and explain the effect on the rate of the reaction if the reaction is carried out at 10 atmospheres and 450°C.