Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass.
A solute-This is the solid which dissolves in a liquid.
A solvent-Thus is the liquid in which the solid dissolves in.
A solution-This is what is formed when solute and solvent are mixed completely.
Soluble solids:-This are solids that dissolves completely in liquids.
Insoluble solids:-These are solids that do not dissolve in liquids when they are mixed.
Miscible liquids:-This are liquids that mix to form a uniform solution eg water and milk,water and spirit, cooking oil and paraffin etc.
Immiscible liquids:-This are liquids that when put together and shaken still forms layers eg water and paraffin.
- Picking:-Involves use of hands to pick big solid particles from a mixture eg mixture of maize and beans, mixture of Stones from rice etc.
- Winnowing:- Used i separation of light solid particles from the heavy ones using the wind eg a mixture of rice and husk, a
mixture of sorghum from the chaffs etc.
- Sieving:- Used in separating mixture of small and large solid particles where the small particles passes through the sieve
leaving behind the big ones eg mixture of maize and millet.
- Use of magnet:- Used in separating magnetic materials from non magnetic materials eg Flour and iron fillings
- Decanting:-Used to separate an insoluble solid from a liquid by gently pouring out the liquids eg mixture water and cooked
- Filtering:- This involves using a filter paper or a cloth to separate a mixture eg a mixture of soil and water
NB:-The water obtained from filtering is not safe for drinking as it may contain traces of the mixtures and also germs its
therefore advisable to boil it again
Evaporation:-This is a method that is used to separate a mixture of soluble solid from a liquid but only the solidis recovered.
Home made water filter