Read the following letter and then answer questions 1 to 6.
I was delighted to receive your letter dated 11th January, and to learn that you are doing well. I am happy to inform you that I will be publishing an article on the school's weekly magazine. The article will focus mainly on the plight of children undergoing child labour. The contents will try to enlighten children on the dangers that are associated with child labour or forced labour. In the publications, I will highlight what entails child labour and also cite some examples of cases of child labour.
The materials will have several illustrations that are child friendly. They will be large enough so that the young children can read and enjoy them as they gain knowledge about the vice of child labour. Our Social Studies teacher, Mrs Nyagol, is helping in editing them so as to ensure they are error-free. She is also helping with the ideas. The head teacher has also promised to support in publishing the articles.
I welcome good ideas that can help me improve further. I hope you will be of great help since I know from the experience you went through as a child labourer, you must be a good source of knowledge.
Your friend, Jennifer.
- Who is the sender of the above letter?
- Mrs Nyagol
- The head teacher
- The sender of this letter must be a
- children officer
- child labourer
- The phrase 'Dear Larry' is referred to as;
- Why did the sender think that the receiver had some ideas concerning child labour?
- He was her best friend.
- He was also writing an article.
- He must have been very smart.
- He was a victim of child labour.
- How many addresses should the above letter have?
- The last part of the letter is called ____________________________.
Read the following passage and then answer questions 7 to 11.
Many communities in Kenya hold annual community cultural festivals to celebrate their cultures. These festivals have been part and parcel of Kenyan community celebrations over the years. They are majorly done to mark rites of passage and cycles of community traditions and practices. They are vehicles through which cultural traditions and practices are transmitted through performances and exhibitions. They promote intercultural understanding and showcase various communities' rich and diverse cultural expressions. Further, they are platforms for nurturing talents and providing an avenue to market cultural expressions. These festivals are major tourist attractions both at local and international levels. The community cultural festivals are deeply rooted as even city and urban dwellers have designed unique cultural celebrations in urban settings. For example' many hotels in Nairobi host annual community cultural celebrations themed on particular ethnic groups and these attract large audiences. The celebrations in urban settings are not only avenues for cultural expression but also economic ventures for major hotels. These celebrations keep alive cultural connections of city dwellers with their ethnic cultures.
- According to the first sentence, it is true to say that;
- cultural festivals are held yearly.
- cultural festivals are held for many years.
- all communities in Kenya hold annual cultural festival.
- few people hold annual cultural festivals.
- The word cultures as used in the passage can best be replaced by _____________________
- people's way of life
- According to the passage, why are festivals held?
- To entertain.
- To expose talent.
- To mark rites of passage.
- To show the community circles.
- Which of the following is not one of the benefits of cultural festivals in Kenya?
- It creates ethnic division amongst the communities.
- It is an avenue where communities showcase their diverse and rich expressions.
- They are platforms for nurturing talents.
- They are tourists attractions.
- Which tittle best summarises the passage?
- Kenyans and their cultures.
- The annual community cultural festivals in Kenya.
- Kenyan celebrations.
- How hotels benefit from Kenyan festivals.
Read the following passage and then answer questions 12 to 15.
Apart from the teachers, schools have other workers who do different types of work. One of these workers is the school secretary. School secretaries have a lot of work to do in school. They type letters and exam papers, and also make and receive telephone calls.
In some schools, the secretary sits at the reception desk to act as a receptionist. At this point, their work is to receive and direct the school visitors. Their work demands that they display good ethical standards called etiquette.
- Which of the following is true according to the passage?
- Schools should only have teachers and the secretary.
- There are other school workers besides teachers.
- School secretaries play more important roles than the teachers.
- In all the schools, secretaries are the receptionists.
- Which one of the following is not a role of the school secretary?
- They teach in classes.
- They type school letters.
- They make calls.
- They receive visitors.
- What is the work of a receptionist according to the passage?
- They make and receive telephone calls.
- They type letters.
- They type exam papers.
- They receive and direct school visitors.
- What is etiquette according to the passage?
- a lot of work
- hard work
- a good ethical standard
- working smart
Read the passage below. It contains blank spaces numbered 16 to 20. For each blank space, select the best alternative from the choices given.
It was unusual for my father to come to school ___16___ a weekday. That Tuesday afternoon, I was ___17___ when I was informed that he was waiting for me in the head teacher's office. No sooner had I made my way into the office ___18___ he stood and shut the door ___19___ me. I was totally in the horns of dilemma. I had
___20___ seen my father in that state before. This was the had first time since I was born. What could I have done, I asked myself ?
For questions 21 to 23, select the correct determiner to complete the given sentence
- The water in the tank is not _______________________ for today's use. We need to fetch more from
- a lot
- The officers requested for _________________________ time to complete the investigation about the theft
- I had a chat with __________________________ university student as we walked along the university avenue.
For questions 24 and 26, fill in the blank space with correct preposition.
- Grace is good ________________________ singing.
- Most children go to school _________________________ foot.
- The horse jumped ___________________________ the bridge.
For questions 27 and 28, choose the alternative that best completes the statement given.
- Both Francis
- but his brother are hardworking learners.
- nor his brother are hardworking learners.
- and his brother are hardworking learners.
- or his brother are hardworking learners.
- Neither Doris
- with her sister will join the hockey team.
- nor her sister will join the hockey team.
- or her sister will join the hockey team.
- and her sister will join the hockey team.
For questions 29 and 30, choose the correct order of adjectives to fill in the blank spaces.
- The environmental club patron wore a ______________________ scarf.
- big, green, woolen
- green, big, woolen
- woolen, big, green
- big, woolen, green
- Lucas bought a ________________________ shirt.
- Jamaican, cotton, nice,
- cotton, nice, Jamaican
- nice, cotton, Jamaican
- nice, Jamaican, cotton
Write a letter to your cousin inviting him/her to your birthday party.