- Living better with wild animals
- Using fences to keep away wild animals
- Using of innovative light to control wild animals
- Planning how to make innovative deterrents
- Constructing innovative deterrents
- Making sound deterrents
- Making a bird feeding table
- Importance of deterrents in conserving wild animals
- Repellents such as smoke, noise and certain smelly substances can keep off wild animals from our crops and domestic animals.
- Deterrents methods are used to prevent wild animals from damaging our crops and domestic animals. E.g. use of fence, use of light,
- Wire mesh fence and thick thorny bushes fence helps to keep wild animals away from crops and domestic animals
- Animals fear random sounds deflecting and blinking or flashing lights.
- These devices keep wild animals away at night from crops
- Light bulbs can be installed near cattle bomas or around the gardens
Planning how to make innovative deterrents
Constructing innovative deterrents
- Using a device that can produce some loud noise can also help to scare the wild animals
- Safe traps can be used to trap some wild animals which then be released back to the forest.
- During the day birds can be kept away by hanging shiny reflective CDs or reflective ribbons such as shiny party streamers near the garden.
- The light reflected from the shinny surfaces of such objects distracts the vision of birds.
- The birds are also scared by sound reflective ribbons make when it is windy.
- Wild animals are important because they support our tourism industry which earns revenue for our country. They should not be killed when they come to our farms.
- Using deterrents helps us to live better or coexist with the wild animals in our environment.
For pupils activity list visit/download Pupil's Activity for Agriculture (all activities) - Agriculture CBC Grade 6 Notes