Read the following conversation and then answer questions 1 to 5.
Kadzo: Hello Katana. How was the competition? Mkala told me that you met your match.
Katana: Hello Kadzo. Yeah, Mkala is right. I used to think I am the best runner in this county until I met one Kobole from Makongeni.
Kadzo: Well, I think Mr. Maloba will have to do something extra in his coaching, else, it may get stiffer and stiffer.
Katana: We have time. The best thing is that I was the second after Kobole. The first three are to represent the region nationally.
Kadzo: I wish you all the best as you plan to train for the same. I shall encourage Mr. Maloba to try new coaching methods on you.
Katana: Thank you so much Kadzo. I am looking forward to emerging the best nationally.
- Possibly, which sports activity did Katana take part in?
- According to this conversation, who is Mr Maloba?
- An athlete.
- A trainee.
- A teacher.
- A coach.
- Which one of the following describes Katana's character?
- Accepts defeat and plans to be better.
- Stubborn and never allows competition.
- Lazy and plans to practise more and more
- Hard working but never plans to better himself.
- From this conversation, it is true to say that the competition was
- By the end of the conversation, seems
Read the passage and then answer questions 6 to 9.
A journey by train is interesting as well as educative. Such a very important event happened in Samira's life. Last week she went on her first train journey. She travelled with her family to Voi where her uncle lived. They left home at dawn and went to the SGR terminus. After purchasing a ticket, they got into the train. Suddenly, the train blew its whistle and started the journey. It seemed to Samira that the trees, houses and stations all went hurriedly back to Nairobi. She was very excited. She really enjoyed her first journey.
- With whom did Samira travel to Voi? Her
- How many times had Samira travelled by train before?
- She had never travelled.
- What did they do at the SGR terminus? They
- closed all the windows.
- purchased a ticket.
- saw trees moving backwards.
- enjoyed their journey.
- Where was Samira's family living?
- In Voi.
- At the SGR terminus.
- In Nairobi.
- We are not told.
Read the passage and then answer questions 10 to 12.
Technology refers to the use of tools, machines, materials, techniques and sources of power to make work easier and more productive. While Science is more concerned with how and why things happen, technology deals with making things happen.
Technology has brought about efficiency and quality in the manufacturing sector. Technology advancement has reduced the risk involved in manufacturing enterprises. A lot of improvement has been seen in health facilities. Technology therefore should be here to stay.
- The passage says that technology has
- brought tools and machines.
- made work easier
- killed manufacturing industries
- increased death rates.
- The writer says that Science is concerned with
- how and why things happen
- making things happen.
- making work easier.
- improving human life.
- According to the passage, a lot of improvement has been seen in
- agriculture sector.
- production of goods.
- health facilities.
- some schools in the country.
Read the passage and then answer questions 13 to 15.
Matayo is a famous farmer. He keeps livestock like cattle, goats, sheep and chicken. He also grows crops like maize, potatoes and vegetables. When the work is not much, he works by himself. Sometimes his family helps him with weeding, planting or harvesting. There are times when the work is too much for him alone. He hires a tractor which ploughs the land ready for planting. Planting is done by hands. He adds manure to the soil to make it fertile.
- Matayo works in a
- According to the passage, Matayo does not grow
- Who sometimes helps Matayo in the farm? His
Read the passage below. It contains blank spaces numbered 16 to 20. For each blank space, select the best alternative from the choices given.
One day, rabbit was boasting about how___16___ he could run. He was laughing at the turtle for being so___17___. Much to the rabbit's surprise, the turtle challenged him to a ___18___. The rabbit thought this was a good joke and___19___ the challenge. The fox was the ___20___ of the competition because he was fair. As soon as it began, the rabbit ran away ahead of the turtle, just like everyone thought. The rabbit got halfway point and could not see the turtle anywhere.
For questions 21 to 23. choose the plural of the underlined words
- Mueni's tooth hurts.
- Mukami is an honest lady.
- A big ship capsized in the ocean.
In questions 24 to 26, choose the best word from alternatives to fill the blank spaces.
- We have been studying ______________ eight o'clock.
- Every citizen __________________ the right to free speech.
- Kanini and her brother are ________________________ their kites
For questions 27 to 30. complete the sentences with the correct adverbs.
- The man drives his van
- The game ranger walked very
- Grade five learners were singing
- Maimuna waited for her guardian.
Download English Questions and Answers - Grade 5 Opener Exam Term 1 2023 Set 1.
Tap Here to Download for 30/-
Get on WhatsApp for 30/-
- ✔ To read offline at any time.
- ✔ To Print at your convenience
- ✔ Share Easily with Friends / Students