Read the following dialogue and answer questions 1-5.
Plumber : Hello. Could you please direct me to Mr. Kimani's house?
Mr. Kimani : Hello. I am Mr. Kimani. Are you the plumber?
Plumber : Yes I am. Are you the one who called?
Mr. Kimani : Yes, I have a broken pipe in laundry room. Please come in and have a look.
Plumber : OK. Are you talking about that leaking drainage pipe?
Mr. Kimani : Yes, can you repair it please?
Plumber : Yes, it will take about forty minutes
Mr. Kimani : How much will that cost?
Plumber : I will charge you a service fee of five hundred shillings. We will also replace the broken pipe with
a new one.
Mr. Kimani : What is the cost of the new pipe?
Plumber : It costs two hundred per metre and we need three metres.
Mr. Kimani : OK. You can start working on it.
- According to the dialogue above, had the plumber visited Mr. Kimani's home before?
- We aren't told
- Not sure
- How much did Mr. Kimani pay for the new pipe?
- Kshs. 600.
- Kshs. 200.
- Kshs. 500
- How much did Mr. Kimani pay for work and material?
- Kshs. 600
- Kshs. 200.
- Kshs. 500
- A laundry room is the room where we _____________________
- store tools
- repair pipes
- wash our clothes
- buy new pipes
- If the repair work took twenty minutes longer than the plumber had expected, how long did it take the plumber to finish the job?
- Twenty minutes
- Forty minutes
- One hour
- Two hours.
Read the poem below and answer questions 6 to 8
To everyone her ear she lend,
But to nobody her heart.
She wondered how to change that,
But she didn't know where to start,
She would smile more to herself,
Than the world would ever see,
For the only time her smile was real,
Was only in her own company.
People didn't know how she felt
They never even ever asked,
It seemed she had fooled them all,
They couldn't see past her mask at all,
If they were to be with her at dusk.
When the world was going to sleep,
Maybe she would let them read,
Through the secrets that she kept,
But when she looks keenly around,
Nobody was ever there not a sound,
And she realizes why she hides her heart,
Is because no-one really cares.
- The poem is talking about ______________________
- secrets of a boy
- a lady's smile
- a lady's secrets
- a lady's heart
- When was the lady's smile real?
- When with people
- When asleep
- When alone
- At dusk
- Why does the lady keep her secrets to herself?
- People don't even care
- Nobody is ever there
- She does't lend anyone her heart
- People don't ask
Read the passage below and answer questions 9-11
There was once a young shepherd who tended his sheep at the foot of a mountain near a dark forest. It was rather lonely for him all day, so he thought upon a plan by which he could get a little company and some excitement. He rushed down towards the village calling out "Wolf, Wolf," and the villagers came out to meet him, and some of them stayed with him for a considerable time but there was no wolf. This pleased the boy so much that a few days later, he tried the same trick, and again the villagers came to his help but they saw no wolf. Shortly after this, a wolf actually came out from the forest. The boy of course cried out "Wolf, Wolf," louder than before. This time the villagers, who had been fooled twice before, thought the boy was again deceiving them, and nobody came to his help. So the Wolf made a good meal off the boy's flock, and when the boy complained, the wise man of the village said, "A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth."
- What plans did the shepherd think of?
- To call the villagers
- To shout wolf! wolf!
- To stay with the villagers
- To let the wolf eat the sheep.
- We say as ______________________as a wolf.
- The statement: Wolf made a good meal off the boy's flock means
- the wolf cooked a good meal
- the wolf ate the sheep.
- the boy killed the wolf
- the wolf ate the boy and the sheep
Read the following passage and answer questions 12-15.
A young Man had been caught while stealing and had to be killed for it. He expressed his wish to see his mother, and to speak with her before he was killed and of course, this was grunted. When his Mother came to him, he said, "I want to whisper to you," and when she brought her ear near him, he completely bit it off. All the bystanders were horrified, and asked him what he meant by such brutal and inhuman conduct. He said that when he was young he began with stealing little things, and brought them home to her. Instead of rebuking and punishing him, she laughed and told him that it would not be noticed. It was because of her that he was there. "He is right, woman," said the judge. The judge said, "Train your child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will never depart from it.
- Why was the boy going to be killed?
- For biting his mother
- For expressing his wish.
- The judge said so
- For stealing
- What was the boy's feeling towards his mother?
- According to the judge who was to blame?
- The mother
- The bystanders
- The boy
- The judge
- The best proverb to use in the story is _____________________
- A stitch in time saves nine
- You reap what you sow
- Like mother like son
- Judge not that you may not be judged.
Read the passage below keenly. It contains blank spaces numbered 16 to 20. Fill in the spaces using the best alternative from the choices given.
Thousands of traders held demonstrations in the city's central business district today citing intrusion of the Kenyan ___16___ by Chinese business people.
The local traders said the Chinese traders had ___17___ them out of business, claiming they were offering goods at affordable prices. One of the ___18___ said that he was protesting ___19___ the Chinese traders' invasion of the Kenyan market. He added that the intruders were playing the manufacturer's and seller's role at the same time, which ___20___not be the case. "They have locked us out of business in our own country."
For questions 21 to 23 choose the word that can be a verb and also a noun.
For questions, 24 to 26 choose the correct possessive pronoun from the given choices.
- The dog started wagging _________________ tail when the owner arrived
- it is
- We cheered when ____________________ team scored a goal.
- They carried _________________________ bags into the hotel.
For questions, 27 and 28 select the correct degree of adjective.
- The country has the _______________________people in East Africa.
- most tall
- That is the ____________________ answer
- more accurate
- most accurate
- less accurate
For questions, 29 and 30 select the correct order of adjective.
- The president gave our school ___________________ bus
- well-shaped, new, big
- new, big, well-shaped
- new well-shaped, big
- big, well-shaped, new
- We had a swimming lesson in the _____________________ swimming pool.
- old, circular, big
- big, circular, old
- circular, old, big
- circular, big, old
You have received an invitation letter from your best friend inviting you to attend her birthday party. Write a friendly letter as a reply to the letter.
Download English Language Activities Questions and Answers - Grade 5 End Term 1 Exams 2023 Set 4.
Tap Here to Download for 30/-
Get on WhatsApp for 30/-
- ✔ To read offline at any time.
- ✔ To Print at your convenience
- ✔ Share Easily with Friends / Students