Read the following story and answer the questions that follow.
There once was a shepherd boy who was bored as he sat on the hillside watching the village sheep. To amuse himself he took a great breath and sang out, "Wolf! Wolf! The Wolf is chasing the sheep!" The villagers came running up the hill to help the boy drive the wolf away. But when they arrived at the top of the hill, they found no wolf. The boy laughed at the sight of their angry faces. "Don't cry 'wolf, shepherd boy," said the villagers, "when there's no wolf!" They went grumbling back down the hill.
Later, the boy sang out again, "Wolf! Wolf! The wolf is chasing the sheep!" To his naughty delight, he watched the villagers run up the hill to help him drive the wolf away. When the villagers saw no wolf, they sternly said, "Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don't cry 'wolf' when there is no wolf!" But the boy just grinned and watched them go grumbling down the hill once more.
Later, he saw a REAL wolf prowling about his flock. Alarmed, he leaped to his feet and sang out as loudly as he could, "Wolf! Wolf!" But the villagers thought he was trying to fool them again, and so they didn't come. At sunset, everyone wondered why the shepherd boy hadn't returned to the village with their sheep. They went up the hill to find the boy. They found him weeping.
"There really was a wolf here! The flock has scattered! I cried out, "Wolf!" Why didn't you come?" An old man tried to comfort the boy as they walked back to the village. "We'll help you look for the lost sheep in the morning," he said, putting his arm around the youth, "Nobody believes a liar...even when he is telling the truth". The boy promised that he would never again cry wolf when there was none.
- Why did the shepherd boy shout wolf when there was no wolf?
- He was bored.
- He wanted to go home.
- He wanted food.
- He thought he saw a wolf.
- What did the boy do when the villagers came and found there was no wolf?
- He cried.
- He laughed.
- He ran.
- He slept.
- Why do you think the villagers failed to come when the boy cried wolf for the third time?
- They wanted the boy to be eaten by the wolf.
- They were busy with other tasks.
- They thought he was fooling them.
- They were not near the village.
- What advice did the old man give to the boy?
- Nobody believes a liar even when he is telling the truth.
- To keep fooling the villagers.
- To kill the wolf when he sees it next time.
- People like one who makes fun of them.
- What lesson do you learn from the story?
- Don't make fun about serious issues.
- Always make fun of people.
- Never say anything when you see something bad.
- Always cry wolf when there's no wolf.
Read the following conversation and answer the questions that follow.
Mathew: Hey John, how are you doing?
John: I am good, I'm really excited for the holiday
Mathew: Oh yeah! What are you planning to do over the holiday?
John: My uncle who lives in Mombasa invited me to visit them. Why don't you come with me, I'm sure my uncle won't mind?
Mathew: Thank you for the invitation but I have to decline.
Mathew: I really wish I could but my mother is travelling and I will have to take care of my siblings.
John: But what about your father?
Mathew: He goes to work early and comes back home late, and you know my sisters cannot be left on their own.
John: Oh yeah! They are still too young.
Mathew: Exactly. It was kind of you to invite me and I appreciate it.
John: It's okay, maybe the next holiday.
Mathew: I would be delighted to come. I hope you will have lots of fun over there.
John: I sure will.
Mathew: Well, say hi to your uncle and aunt for me.
John: I will, and please greet your sisters too. See you next term.
Mathew: Bye John.
- Why is John excited for the holiday?
- Because he will not study anymore.
- Because he is visiting his uncle in Mombasa.
- Because he will watch a lot of movies.
- Because he will meet his friends.
- What reason does Mathew give for declining the invitation?
- He doesn't like Mombasa.
- He is too young to be away from home.
- His mother is travelling and he has to care for his siblings.
- His father is sick.
- Which conversation skill was displayed by the two friends?
- Turn taking.
- Shouting at each other.
- Answering questions.
- Why does Mathew's father not take care of his sisters?
- Because he hates them.
- Because he goes to work early and comes back late.
- Because he doesn't know how to take care of children.
- Because he is sick.
- Why do you think Mathew's sisters cannot be left on their own?
- Because they are too young.
- Because they are naughty.
- Because they are not feeling well.
- Because they don't know how to cook.
Read the passage below and answer the following questions.
The Importance of Sport for the children's health is that sport helps children to develop both physically and mentally. Physical activity should be part of our daily life. Practicing any kind of sport from an early age helps children in many ways, for example, group activities improve interaction and social integration. It also improves the mental level and promotes a healthy lifestyle in adulthood, as the habits we acquire as children are often to stay. Sports have multiple healthy benefits. If we talk on a psychological or personality level, sports activities (especially those done in groups) help children to strengthen their social self-esteem, and allow them to understand the importance of having and respecting the rules.
Another aspect to consider is what type of sport or activity will suit best the child considering his/her conditions and abilities. A more timid and shy child is likely to get better at a sport where she/he has to relate to peers. To a more active one, an individual sport such as tennis can help better develop her/his ability to concentrate.
One of the perhaps most relevant issues is the importance of physical exercise, not only in children but also in young and old people, because moderate daily physical exercise helps prevent overweight and obesity.
Taking into account the growth of the percentage of children and young people with obesity and overweight in the current world, the inclusion of sport in the family routine becomes almost mandatory.
Sport can also have the power to help us rest. For all those fathers and mothers of active children, try to get them to run every day playing soccer, or swimming or any other activity that keeps them physically active. They will fall asleep in bed in a matter of seconds and you, dads and moms, too.
- According to the passage, what is the importance of sports to children?
- It keeps them busy.
- It makes them tired.
- It helps them develop both physically and mentally.
- It helps them become famous..
- Why is it mandatory to include sports in the family routine?
- Because of the increase in number of young people with obesity.
- Because it helps family's bond.
- Because it helps children fall asleep fast.
- Because there are few people who do sports.
- In which kind of sport is a shy child likely to get better?
- One which requires silence.
- One which requires he/she to relate to peers.
- One which requires a lot of concentration.
- One which requires only two players.
- Which health benefits of sports are mentioned in the passage?
- Prevents one from becoming mad.
- Prevents malaria.
- Helps one get well after being sick.
- Prevents obesity and overweight.
Read the passage below and fill in the blank spaces.
Children should always be ___15___. The use of ___16___ words help us live ___17___. If you would like to use your desk mate's rubber, you should say" ___18___me, Fred, may I use ___19___ rubber?"
Fill the blank spaces using the correct word.
- Sheila __________________________ goes to school early.
- Valerie _________________________ asked hermother for permission to go to the party.
Fill the blanks with the correct word from the ones given
- Nina loves engaging in sports __________________________ it is healthy.
- The people who steal __________________________ lie.
- It had started raining _____________________________ the children continued playing.
Fill the blank spaces with the appropriate word.
- People ______________________________take a bath everyday.
- We ________________________________ drink eight glasses of water daily.
Place the adjectives in brackets in their correct order
- Jane bought a _________________________ dress.
(red, cotton, beautiful)
- red, cotton, beautifu
- cotton, red, beautiful
- beautiful, cotton, red
- beautiful, red, cotton
- Their mother served food on a _________________________ tray. (Silver, round, large)
- round, silver, large
- silver, large, round
- large, round, silver
- round, large, silver
Fill the blanks with the correct word.
- I ____________________________ send you the report tomorrow.
- We _____________________________talk about it next week.
Write a letter to you uncle thanking him for the presents he sent you for your birthday.