Read the conversation below and then answer questions 1-5.
Teacher: Good morning, Marion?
Marion : __1__
Teacher: You did the assignment, didn't you?
Marion : __2__
Teacher : Why didn't you complete your work?
Marion : I was unable to because I did not understand what immunisation is.
Teacher : Immunisation is a process through which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination.
Marion : Thank you teacher. I shall now be able to complete the work. Teacher : ___5___
- How should Marion respond to the teacher's greetings?
- Good morning.
- Good afternoon.
- Lovely day
- There is nothing good about this morning.
- Fill in the blank space in question 2 in the conversation above
- Yes, I did it.
- No, I did not.
- Yes, I did.
- No, I didn't do it.
- What is immunisation according to the dialogue?
- Medicine that kills diseases instantly.
- What causes germs in the body.
- Whatever fight parasites.
- Protection against diseases through vaccination.
- How best can we describe Marion in the conversation?
- She is very rude.
- She is very lazy and disobedient.
- She is intelligent and respectful.
- She is humble but lazy.
- What is the best response the teacher can give to Marion in the blank space numbered 5?
- Thank you for your time.
- Yes, you will do it now.
- Most welcome.
- I appreciate it.
Read the passage below and then questions 6 - 9.
It is important to take care of one's teeth right from childhood. Taking good care of one's teeth will ensure that the teeth do not develop problems later in life. When one eats too many sweets and does not brush every day, it is likely that they will have problems in life such as toothaches, cavities, swelling and pain. One should visit the dentist at least once a year to ensure that their mouth is healthy. A dentist is a person who treats diseases and other conditions affecting the mouth, teeth and the gums.
There was once a boy in our class whose mouth smelt all through. Whenever he opened his mouth to answer a question, everyone held their nose. The stench that came out could not be withstood. The teacher took action at once and helped him. Besides advising him to brush after every meal, he also took him to the dentist himself for treatment. Many learners were beginning to withdraw from the class.
After a certain period of time of taking care of his teeth, the problem was taken care of and normalcy returned. All the learners freely interacted with the boy and made friends with him. All thanks to our class teacher
- According to the passage, a dentist is _____________________________.
- a person who takes care of people in a hospital.
- a person who treats diseases and other conditions affecting the mouth, teeth and gums.
- a person who takes care of our eyes.
- a person who ensures that we brush our teeth.
- Why is it important to take care of our teeth?
- To ensure there is no problem later on in life.
- To smell good.
- So that we are able to eat many sweets.
- In order not to brush our teeth every day.
- How many times should we visit the dentist?
- Once a year.
- Once a month.
- Once every six months.
- Every week.
- Which one among the following does not happen when we fail to brush our teeth every day?
- We get cavities.
- Swelling and pain.
- We have a lovely smile.
- Our teeth might start to rot.
Read the passage below and then answer questions 10 - 12.
A long time ago the fish were able to walk on land together with their friends the hippopotamuses. They were very good friends and did almost everything together. They went hunting for food together and shared whatever they were lucky to get. One day, the sun did not rise early as it usually did, so the fish were not able to see their way through the darkness like their friends the hippopotamuses.
When their friend the hippopotamuses came back that evening with food, they all shared and retired. The same thing happened the following day. Their faithful friend was there for the fish again. This went on until the hippopotamuses got fed up. He said he could not go on feeding the fish as they sat back at home doing nothing.
The fish then decided to go to their leader to ask him why the sun had refused to shine for all those days. They were starving due to lack of food. Their leader told them that the sun was upset that they were walking on the land because they belonged strictly to the water. This news troubled the fish so much. They did not know what to do. One of them, however, advised that they should follow their leader's advice - never to leave the water. Since that day, the fish have never set their feet on land for fear of making the sun angry.
- Which one of the following was never done by both the fish and their friends the hippopotamuses
- They looked for food together.
- They shared food as a family.
- They shared nearly everything.
- They walked on land together.
- Who according to the passage was able to see through the darkness?
- The hippopotamuses.
- The fish.
- Both animals.
- The leader of the fish.
- It is true to say that Hippopotamuses ________________________.
- are only able to walk at night.
- are the only ones able to see in the darkness.
- are usually afraid of the sun.
- are able to live on land and in water.
Read the following passage and then answer questions 13 - 15.
Environmental Day is the day when the world celebrates the God given environment. Environment refers to all the things found in it; living or otherwise. Normally, we converge as members of the environmental club at the County offices and take part in cleaning the environment as well as planting trees. This exercise does not end there. We enlighten the society on the importance of taking care of the environment. This is done through short skits, plays choral verses and even narratives. People come in large numbers especially the lovers of the environment.
This year we were lucky to be joined by the Governor himself. Some of us had only managed to watch him on television but today we got lucky to set our eyes on him. He is a handsome man with a kind heart. He promised us free scholarship to study further about the environment outside the country. We could not have been happier.
You will not believe it when I say he held a broom and swept the market as a role model. Journalists from various media houses captured him and sent the pictures to their newsrooms. It was a great moment for me when I took a photograph with him.
- The environment is made up of ____________________________.
- Living things and otherwise.
- Both living and non- living things.
- Non-living things only.
- Living things only.
- The scholarship would be given to ______________________________.
- all the primary schools in the writer's neighbourhood.
- the writer only.
- those who will excel in the environmental programme.
- the members of the environmental club to study further about the environment.
- The best title for the passage above would be
- The Governor sweeps the market.
- Getting a scholarship.
- The World's Environmental Day.
- The day I met the Governor.
Read the passage below. It contains blank spaces numbered 16-20. For each blank space, choose the best alternative from the given four.
Have__16__ ever thought of what you want to be __17__ you grow up? Are you working towards achieving your dreams? There are __18__ careers one can pursue, however, you __19__ work harder at school and get good qualifications for you to become what you have always __20__.
For questions 21 -25. choose the best alternative to complete the given sentence.
- This pen is mine but _______________________ one is yours.
- other one
- There was ________________________ soda in the bottle so she drank it all.
- a little
- a lot
- A person who sells flowers is a ________________________.
- flower seller
- Mary is the ________________________ of the twins.
- more taller
- Mother bought a _________________________.
- table, long, square
- square, long, table
- long, square, table
- table, square, long
For question 26, choose the alternative with the plural of the given sentence.
- The baby is crying.
- The babies are crying.
- These babies are crying.
- The babies were crying.
- The baby's is crying.
- Which word least fits in the group of words given below?
For questions 28 and 29, identify the pronouns in the given sentences.
- He is a good boy.
- "Mary is a prayerful woman," she said.
- Which is the correctly punctuated sentence?
- Cows eat grass, don't they?
- Cows eat grass don't they.
- Cows eat grass, dont they?
- Cows eat grass. Don't they?
Write an interesting composition about: