Fill in blank spaces numbered 1-15 in the passage below with the most appropriate alternative.
Gender discrimination 1 the African woman 2 not only very widespread 3 deeply entrenched 4 African Societies. 5 factors combine to disadvantage 6 African woman. 7 , we have an outdated 8 that the woman is naturally 9 , secondly, many negative culturally 9 , secondly, many negative cultural 10 like female genitai mutilation, bride 11 and other terms of discrimination. Thirdly, the abject 12 and ignorance in 13 African communities deny the African woman the means, the knowledge and power to 14 positive decisions in 15 life.
|3||also then||but also||and so||if then|
|13||few||a few||a little||many|
For questions 16-17, choose the alternative which means the same as the underlined word
- Before you buy an item, calculate how much it will cost you.
- work out
- work up
- work in
- work over
- The manager fired the workers who went on strike.
- struck off
- put off
- laid off
- laid down
- It is very difficult to bring up many children these days.
For questions 19 - 20, choose the correct question tags.
- I am the heaviest boy in class,______?
- am I not
- amn't I
- aren't I
- isn't it
- She dared to storm out of church, _______?
- didn't she
- doesn't she
- daren't she
- isn't she
In questions 21 - 23. choose the corrects word to fill in the blank spaces.
- If she had gone to Duhai, she ____________ bought the dress
- will have
- could have
- could have
- would have
- Jane is an intelligent pupil, _________, she is a talented singer.
- There is _________ food. None can get satisfied.
- a little
- a few
For questions 24 - 25, choose the word that least fits in the group.
Read the passage below and then answer questions 26 - 38.
There once lived a wealthy man who was noble in his society. He was regarded in high esteem and always had a place of honour in the village council. The man employed a servant to work in his vast estate.
The servant was a dutiful person that the master found no fault in him. He too was a determined person and was ready to better himself. He detested a life of servitude and resolved to make himself a respectable person like his master. He enrolled in evening classes the moment his duties were done. The master neither encouraged nor supported the servant's endeavour to better himself. All he cared for was that the duties were carried out to the latter.
The servant acquired vast knowledge in different fields. One day, he approached his master and hinted to him on better ways of improving the farm yields. “Who are you to tell me how to run my farm?" his master exploded out at him. “But we have been farming using the same methods year in year out with some dismal yields," the servant tried to convince his master.
"Listen!" shouted his boss! “I make rules here and you have to abide by them! Those night studies are making you stubborn and thick headed.” Saying this, he dismissed his servant with anger.
The servant continued carrying on the work using the old methods. He studied with dint every night and finally sat for his examinations. He passed well with credentials and was lucky to find a good paying job with a big company.
His master sadly dismissed him wishing him luck wherever he went. The former servant worked for some years with the company and then opened his own firm. He had risen from obscirity to a manager in his own Blue Chip Company.
Meanwhile, his old master had sunk into debts. He had been asked to pay a huge amount of money and his prestigious farm and property were in danger of being auctioned. He was desperate to find remedy to the situation and save his family from hard times. He found himself knocking at the office of his former servant.
- Which statement is true about the man mentioned in the first paragraph?
- He was noble but not rich
- He was rich
- He employed a servant in his small farm
- He was not part of the village council
- The word 'noble' is used in the first sentence. It can describe the man as;
- coward, careless, caring
- fearful, honest, careless
- courageous, honest, caring
- brave, careless, coward
- The servant as stated in the passage was;
- hardworking but blameworthy
- innocent and lazy
- self-driven and guilty
- obedient and blameless
- The word 'servitude' refers to the state of;
- The phrase 'duties were carried out to the latter' as ued in the passage means;
- work was to be done without any question
- the servant was to perform only some duties
- work was to be done when the master ordered
- the duties were not done at all
- According to the passage, it is correct to say that;
- the master discouraged the servant's effort to study
- the master was happy with the servant's education
- the master did not discourage the servants effort to study
- the master supported his servant in everything
- From the passage, it is evident to say that education;
- does not satisfy needs
- does not give information
- is useless in farming
- can improve one's life
- Which of the following led to the failure of the master's farming projects?
- The servant's search for knowledge
- The master's inability to accept change
- The master's change of working methods
- The servant's refusal to support the master
- What were the feelings of the master as he dismissed his servant?
- He was sad
- He was grateful
- He was contented
- He was glad
- The phrase ..... had sunk into debts,' shows the master;
- cleared his debts
- had a lot of money
- owed people money
- paid all his debtors
- Which of the following words would replace the word ‘remedy' as used in the passage?
- The master eventually knocked at his former servant's office for help. Which proverb summarises this?
- Look before you leap
- Hard work pays
- What goes around comes around
- Tit for tat is a fair game
- The best title for this passage would be;
- The master and the servant
- The servant and his master's farm
- The master's farm
- The master's education
Read the passage below and then use it to answer questions 39-50.
The human body is so far the most interesting yet complicated of other animal bodies. It is considered the most perfect creation of nature. It is therefore the most studied by the largest group of related professionals from psychologists, physiologists, physiotherapists, neurosurgeons and more.
These people always find something new in their fields be it biological or physical and they remain to be interesting for knowledge and studies as well. Did you know that 15 percent of people in the world are left-handed or that infants blink only once or twice a min while adults' average blinks are around ten, and fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toe nails?
Such findings continue to spring up day in day out to normally helpful in times of epidemics or rare circumstances of infections or diseasea. The following are some random findings about important features of the body. The skin is the largest organ making up the body, covering about 12 percent of the body weight, while the small intestine is the largest internal organ and is four times taller than an average human height.
However, the most important part of the human body is the control mechanism-the brain. The brain weighs atleast two percent of the body weight and consumes 30 percent of the oxygen we breath.
- Why is the human body said to be the most interesting and complicated?
- It is the same as that of other animals
- It is studied by professionals
- It is the most perfect creation of nature
- Psychologists, physiologists, neurosurgions study it
- Who among the following given professionals do not study human body as mentioned in the passage?
- The new findings by the professionals in the passage may be;
- biological or mental
- physical or spiritual
- spiritual or mental
- physical or biological
- Who are said to blink many times according to the passage?
- Left handed people
- Adults and infants
- What percentage of people in the world are left-handed?
- Thirty percent
- Twelve percent
- Fifteen percent
- Ten percent
- According to the passage, it is true to say that;
- infants blink only ten times in a minute
- most of the people in the world are left -handed
- toe nails grow faster than finger nails
- the left-handed people in the world are fewer than the right-handed people
- Human health research are helpful during times of,
- epidemics and infections
- studying the world
- growing of finger nails
- The largest internal organ in the body is;
- the brain
- the large intestine
- the small intestines
- the skin
- Which organ is referred to as the 'control mechanism'?
- The brain
- The hands
- The heart
- The intestines
- The brain consumes what percentage of the air we breath?
- 15% nitrogen
- 30% oxygen
- 12% oxygen
- 30% carbon dioxide
- Another name for diseases' in the story is;
- Which statement is correct according to the passage?
- Infants blink once or twice in a minute
- The large intestine is the largest external body organ
- Small intestines are shorter than an average human height
- The brain has no weight
Write an interesting composition from the following beginning
My parents told me to look after our home when they left that morning. After sometime, I got attracted to some noise on the road. I decided to go and find out what was happening..........
Download English Questions and Answers - Class 7 End Term 2 2022 Set 1.
Tap Here to Download for 30/-
Get on WhatsApp for 30/-
- ✔ To read offline at any time.
- ✔ To Print at your convenience
- ✔ Share Easily with Friends / Students