INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- This paper has two sections; A and B.
- Answer ALL the questions in section A.
- Answer question 16(compulsory) and any other THREE questions from section B.
- All answers should be written in the space provided on the question paper.
SECTION A (40 MARKS)
- List and describe three classifications of computers based according on size (3 marks)
- Differentiate between an analog signal and a digital signal (2 marks)
- Define the term systems software (1 mark)
- Define the term portability as used in software. (1mark)
- Outline any four editing features of a word processor, (2 marks)
- An employee in a business company is charged with the responsibility of updating the company advertisements on their website. (i)
- Name the professional title of the employee. (I mark)
- What is the denary equivalent of the binary number 101.1? (2 marks)
- Define the terms: -
- State three factors to consider when selecting an operating system to install in a computer. (3 marks)
- Name two categories of computer monitors. (2marks)
- Explain five electrical safety precaution rules that should be observed in a computer room. (5 marks)
- Write the meaning of the acronym DBMS. (1 mark)
- List four advantages of using database systems. (2 marks)
- In a database system, data integrity ensures the correctness and completeness of the data in the database. Differentiate the following types of integrity constraints:
- Validity Integrity (1 mark)
- Entity Integrity (1 mark)
- Referential Integrity (1 mark)
- Describe the four System Changeover approaches. (4 marks)
- What is the meaning of 'Protocol in Computer networking? (1 mark)
- Repetitive Strain Injury happens when one overuses the computer keyboard or mouse, causing inflammation or injury on muscles or tendons.
- Describe two measures users can apply to prevent or reduce RSI. (2 marks)
- Explain two ways the Internet can be used to enhance commerce. (2 marks)
Answer question 16 (compulsory) and any other three questions
- What is a translator as used in programming? (2 marks)
- Describe three types of language processors in programming (3 marks)
- Read the following algorithm and then answer the questions that follow:
Set total to zero
Set counter to zero
Input first temp_reading
Add temp_reading to total
Add one to counter
Input next temp_reading
Until temp_reading is less than zero
Divide total by counter
- What is the result if the following data is input? 10, 31, 15, 13, 41, -1
- An Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) is simply a data terminal with two input and three output devices. Identify them. marks)
- What is a 'computer based simulation'? Give an example of where it is used. (2 marks)
- Explain the following effects of ICT in our society:
- Effects on employment. (2 marks)
- Issues of workers' health (2 marks)
- Cultural effects (2 marks)
- Give two applications of computers in airlines (2 marks)
- Describe four advantages of database systems. (4 marks)
- The following is an extract of a select query (QBE) in Microsoft Access, about a Hospital Database.
- Other than select queries, name two other types of queries. (2 marks)
- Write an expression that will make the query return only those patients who are 40 years old. (2 marks)
- Explain the following concepts as used in a spreadsheet.
- Automatic recalculation. (1 mark)
- What if analysis. (1 mark)
- Formula (1 mark)
- Name the two files that participate in mail merging. (2 marks)
- Explain the difference between information and an information system (2 marks)
- List any 2 qualities of a good Systems Analyst. (2 marks)
- Other than a Systems Analyst identify 4 other career opportunities in the field of ICT. (4 marks)
- Name two ICT Courses offered at Masters level. (2 marks)
- Programmers may sometimes create a model of all or a part of a system to show the users early in the design stages how the new system eventually looks like. This kind of model is called a prototype. State three uses of prototyping (3 marks)
- Describe the following ways of processing.
- Batch processing.
- Real time processing.
- Differentiate between Multi programming and multi processing operating system, (2 marks)
- File organization refers to the arrangement of records on secondary storage. Briefly describe the following file organization methods: (5 marks)
- Indexed sequential (3 marks)
- Use the two's complement to solve the following.
110010 - 11001
- Bit patterns can be interpreted in a number of different ways. A character in a computer is represented by the bit pattern 0011 0110. What is its decimal value if it represents:
- a pure binary integer (1 mark)
- a BCD (Binary Coded Decimal)? (1 mark)
- Describe the following ways of processing.