SECTION A (25 MARKS)
Answer ALL the questions in this section in the spaces provided.
- The micrometer screw gauge represented in figure 1 below has a thimble scale of 50 divisions.
What is the reading shown? (1 mark)
- Two identical tubes A and B held horizontally contain air and water respectively. A small quantity of coloured gas is introduced at one end of A while a small quantity of coloured water is introduced to one end of B. State with reasons the tube in which the colour will reach the other end faster. (2 marks)
- In the study of free fall, it is assumed that the force F acting on a given body of mass, m, is gravitational, given by F = ma. State two other forces that act on the same body. (2 marks)
- Figure 2 below shows a uniform metre rule of weight, 1N with two weights of 0.18N and 0.12N suspended from its ends
Determine how far from the 0.18N a pivot should be placed in order to balance the metre rule. (3 marks)
- Sketch a velocity time graph for a body moving down a viscous fluid. (1 mark)
- State the reason why banking of a circular part of road is necessary. (1 mark)
- A lady of mass 80kg walks up a flight of 10 stairs each 20cm high in 5 seconds. Determine the power she develops. (3 marks)
- Figure 3 shows a fire alarm circuit.
Explain how it works. (3 marks)
- A light spiral spring extends by 4mm when loaded with a weight W. The spring is connected in series with an identical spring. The combination is loaded with weight W. Determine the extension of the combination. (2 marks)
- In an experiment to demonstrate atmospheric pressure, a plastic bottle is partially filled with hot water and the bottle is then tightly corked. After some time the bottle starts to get deformed.
- State the purpose of hot water. (1 mark)
- State the reason why the bottle gets deformed. (1 mark)
- Explain your answer in (ii) above. (2 marks)
- Define the term angular velocity. (1 mark)
- Tall buildings are built with lighter materials at the upper part. Explain. (1 mark)
- State how the pressure in a moving fluid varies with speed of the fluid. (1 mark
SECTION B (55 MARKS)
Answer ALL questions in this section in the spaces provided.