- Figure 1 shows a beam balance made out of concrete and reinforced with steel
Use a diagram to explain the behaviour of the shape of the beam when heated up
- Sate two liquids which are used in thermometer.
- With a reason, state which of the two liquids in 3 (a) above is used to measure temperature in areas where temperatures are:
- below -400c
- What do you understand by the statement ‘lower fixed point’ on a temperature scale?
- Name two adaptations that can be made to a mercury thermometer to make it more sensitive
- The figure below shows a bimetallic strip made of brass and iron. A marble is placed at end A of the bimetallic strip as shown below:-
State and explain what will be observed when the bimetallic strip is strongly cooled
- The figure below represents a bimetallic strip of metals X and Y at room temperature
The figure below shows its shape when dipped into crushed ice
Sketch a diagram in the space given below to show the shape when the strip is heated to a temperature above the room temperature
- Give a reason why a concrete beam reinforced with steel does not crack when subjected to changes in temperature
- Aquatic animals and plants are observed to survive in frozen ponds. Explain this observation