DESIGN PROBLEM (40 marks)
The less fortunate Kenyans living in the arid and semi-arid area largely depend on water from deep wells for their domestic use. Some end up hurting their backs as they struggle to pull water from the wells manually.
Design a manually operated machine that can be of help to these people, considering the following:
- It should be operated by the person standing in the upright position.
- It should be operated with minimum effort.
- It should have an automatic braking system that can stop the container from moving backwards, unless when necessary.
- It should be adjustable to enable use of less effort.
- It should have a container that scoops the water with minimum delay.
- Make free hand sketches of two possible solutions for the design (6 marks)
- Select one of the designs in (a) above and make a refined labelled pictorial sketch. (12 marks)
- Make detailed sketches of the mechanisms or features used in considerations (2) to (5) above. (14 marks)
- List three materials to be used and give one reason for the choice of each. (6 marks)
- List four methods to be used in joining the parts. (2 marks)