INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES.
- This paper contains two alternatives; A and B. Each alternative has two options.
- Choose only ONE option from any ONE alternative.
- You are reminded that emphasis should be laid on the quality o imagination rather than literal interpretation of the question.
- The use of rulers and other mechanical means is forbidden in A but is allowed in alt B
ALTERNATIVE A: DRAWING /PAINTING.
You are instructed that the use of computers, tracing papers, coloured pencils, crayons, marker pens, rulers and other mechanical/geometrical devices is forbidden in this alternative
- Draw a composition based on Village meeting, where the congregants are attentively listening to a group of elders, one of the elders is up addressing issues affecting the area as the attendants of mixed gender and ages are listening attentively. Work on an area of 35cm by 45cm.
- From imagination, paint a composition based on the theme “At the construction site”;
Work on an area of 35cm by 45cm.
ALTERNATIVE B: GRAPHICS
You are instructed that the use of rulers and other mechanical means as well as tracing paper is allowed. The Colour of the working surface (paper) will not be considered as one of the colours required in any question.
- Using ‘Wild life’ as a source of inspiration, create a motif to be used as a repeat pattern for a wall hanging and curtain to display in a Tourist Resort Hotel. The motif should measure 10cm by 10cm. Use the motif to produce any type of repeat pattern in an area of 35cm by 40cm. Use not more than 3 colours.
- It is nearing electioneering season, politicians are busy campaigning for different seats in their respective areas.
In not more than 3 colours, design an illustrated poster for civic education which will be used to pass the information to the electorates to register with IEBC in order to be able to vote come the election time. Work in an area of 30 by 25cm.
ALTERNATIVE A: DRAWING/PAINTING
QUESTION 1 AN 2.
- QUESTION INTERPRETATION MARKS
- Relevance To the subject matter to the theme [village meeting setup] 07
- Mood/creativity, humor and craftsmanship 06
- Correct dimensions, format/balance and layout. 02
- Appropriate use of space 06
- Use of elements and principles( proportionality, unity and harmony) 06
- Originality 10
- Dominance/focal point and Centre of attraction 08
3. FORM /STRUCTURE
- Definition of forms/shapes 08
- Capture of action 06
- Tone, texture, and proportion in relation to each other and the whole 06
- Articulate postures, action Rhythm and movement 08
- Use of different shading techniques to create 3D effect 07
- Tonal value to create depth and volume 06
- Harmony and Contrast 06
- Pencil/media/tool control an competency (workmanship) 05
- Neatness, personal quality and finishing
ALTERNATIVE B: GRAPHICS
QUESTION 3 AND 4
- Subject matter: Requirements, correct dimensions, correct information
Contents: Motif, 10y10cm, repeated pattern, Traditional Regalia, Poster, 08
- Correct dimensions 02
- Appropriate format 02
- Understanding of Graphic design process 08
- Layout of pictorial forms/letters 08
- Letter spacing, word to words, lines and kerning 08
- Originality, creativity and imagination 08
- Rhythm ,unity and harmony 08
- Definition of forms-pictures/illustrations and letters 10
- Proportion of forms and letters 10
- Appropriateness of forms to the function/relevancy 10
- Appropriate use of Colour 06
- Colour Harmony and contrast 06
5. WORKMANSHIP-Precision, personal quality, neatness and finishing 06
TOTAL 100 MARKS