- Water Pollution
- This is a method of removing excess water or lowering the water table from a marshy water-logged land.
- It is also a method of land reclamation.
Importance of Drainage as a Method of Land Reclamation
- To increase soil aeration.
- To raise soil temperature.
- To increase microbial activities in the soil.
- To reduce toxic substances from the soil.
- To increase soil volume for exploitation by plant roots.
Methods of Drainage
- Use of open ditches.
- Use of underground drain pipes.
- French drains.
- Cambered beds.
- Pumping out water from the soil.
- Planting tree species which absorb a lot of water for example eucalyptus.
- This is the process by which harmful substances get into the water.
- The harmful substance is referred to as a pollutant.
Agricultural Practices Which Pollute Water Include:
- Use of inorganic fertilizers.
- Use of pesticides.
- Poor cultivation practices such as over cultivation, cultivating along the river banks.
- Overgrazing which leads to erosion of soil thus causing siltation in water sources.
Methods of Preventing Water Pollution
- Soil conservation measures which minimize soil losses through erosion.
- Fencing off the water sources.
- Adopting organic farming practices for example controlling pests and weed using non-chemical techniques.
- Planting grass along river banks to minimize siltation in rivers.
- Proper disposal of empty chemical containers.
Download Water Supply, Irrigation and Drainage: Drainage - Form 1 Agriculture Note.
Tap Here to Download for 50/-
Get on WhatsApp for 50/-
- ✔ To read offline at any time.
- ✔ To Print at your convenience
- ✔ Share Easily with Friends / Students
Join our whatsapp group for latest updates