Two important rights of a consumer
- The right to receive correct information on products and services
- Right to safety
- To be heard
- To choose among alternatives &
- Right to compensation Any 2x 2 = ( 2mkarks)
Two groups of synthetic fibres :-
- Polyamides e.g. nylon
- Acrylic any 2 x 1 ( 2mks)
Two methods used to coat food before frying :-
- Use of eggs and breadcrumbs
- Use of butter
- Use of seasoned flour ( 2 x 1 ( 2mks)
Two qualities of a well- made dart
- Well secure
- Tapers to a point
- Straight stitching line
- Pressed to the right direction
- Flat 2 x 1 (2mks)
Four foods to manage kwashiorkor
- Peas 4 x ½ (2mks)
Seams suitable for trouser side seam (heavy fabric)
- Open seam
- Double stitched seam (Machine fell)
- Plain seam ( 2mks)
Points when buying a seam ripper
- Blade should be sharp
- Should have a cover
- Should be made of stainless steel/ material 2 x 1 = ( 2mks)
Two surfaces cleaned by scrubbing:-
- Cemented floor
- Terrazzo surfaces
- Wooden surface 2 x 1 (2mks)
Two uses of Talcum powder on the feet
- To dry the feet completely esp. btn toes
- To prevent athletes foot
- To cure athletes foot ( 2 x 1 = 2mks)
Dangers of smoking during pregnancy
- Retarded growth of the baby
- Underweight babies born ( 2mks)
Reasons for lining a cake tin:-
- To prevent sticking
- Retain good shape of cakes
- Prevent contamination from baking tin
- Prevent burning.
Why stainless steel is unsuitable
- May scratch easily
- Light metals would get too hot too quickly and might burn food.
- Poor conductor of heat; creates hot spots 2 x 1 ( 2mks)
Reasons why babies fed on formula milk diarrhea
- Feeding eq. may not have been hygienically handled.
- Changes in dilution can cause it
- Water used may have been contaminated. 2 x 1 (2mks)
Advantages of having labels on consumer products
- One knows the contents of product.
- Show expiry dates for foods & drugs
- Knows the brand of produc
- Would know the manufacturer. 2 x 1 (2mks)
Qualities of a well made sleeve
- Crown properly matched with shoulder
- Seam for good hang
- Sleave seams should be matched
- Wth side seams, should seam with crown to obtain good balance
- The cap should be smoothly rounded.
- The fullness should be evenly ddistributed.
- The stitchery should be firm and neat
- Armhole seamline should be smooth and strong.
- The sleeve should be trimmed evenly to reduce bulk & neatened appropriately.
- Both sleeves should be of the same length and shape. 2 x 1 (2mks)
Advantages of habit training
- Learn to share toys
- Learns ownership
- Develop physically, mentally & Psychologically
- Learn to be responsible 2 x 1 ( 2 mks)
- 4 ways of decorating an apron
- Use of lace
- Facing R.S
- Embroidery stitches
- Shell edging , any 4 x ½ (2mks)
Uses of Openings on garments
- To allow putting on
- To allow taking off
- Provide style features 2 x 1 (2mks)
Forms in which laundry soap is found:-
- Soap bar
- Soap powder
- Soap flakes
- Liquid soap
- Gel soap any 4 x ½ (2mks)
Advantages of using soft water for laundry:-
- Does not form scum
- Less soap needed, thus economical
- Items washed in soft water feel softer to the touch (2 x 1 = 2mks)
Cleaning a neglected brass ornament
- Collect the items required
- Cover/ protect working surface
- Dust the ornament inside and out to remove loose dirt.
- Shake the brass tin thoroughly to mix well
- Using a clean cloth, apply brasso sparingly on the ornament inside and out.
- Leave for a few minutes to react
- Use clean side of the cloth to rub till brasso is removed.
- Rub using a clean rug folded into a pas to make it shine.
- Clean used items , dry, store (6mks)
Weekly- cleaning a hurricane lamp
- Collect all required item to save time and energy
- Protect working surface.
- Remove all moveable parts and empty the oil.
- Clean the glass in warm soapy water and a soft cloth / sponge carefully.
- Rinse the galss in cold water
- Leave to dry completely , well protected.
- Clean the metal chimney inside out to remove soot and stains
- Clean the vent holes using a brush to remove soot
- Dry all parts completely
- Return the glass and refill the oil tank ready for use.
- Trim the wick evenly and test if it is working well.
- Clean equip used, dry & store. (8mks)
Laundering white cotton table- cloth
- collect items required
- Remove the stain
- Soak the table cloth in lukewarm H2O shortly to soften starch.
- Use hot soapy water, friction washing
- Rinse thoughly in hot water to remove dirt and soap.
- Wring out the water
- Use 1 : 6 strength cold or hot water starch to stiffen.
- Dry in the sun, along with warp, straight on the line using pegs.
- Iron hot w.s. then r.s.
Air, fold & store.
- Wash used eq. dry & store. (8mks)
- Cleaning a neglected brass ornament
Reasons for finishing plain wooden surfaces
- To create harmony with existing surfaces
- To prevent wood from absorbing moisture
- Keeps away pests
- Cover cracks or rough surfaces
- Make surfaces smooth for easy cleaning
- Cover ugly marks 5 x 1 = (5mks)
Practices that are harmful to woolen articles
- Sudden change in temperature – felting and shrinking.
- Hanging causes stretching
- Drying in the sun causes areas to stretch.
- Pressing my flatten the design 5 x 1 = ( 5mks)
Activities at the Ante-natal clinic
- Her blood pressure is checked every visit
- sugar and protein levels are checked
- Blood iron is checked
- Her weight is checked
- Blood group and hemoglobin levels are established.
- If ill, she is treated.
- Advised on diet and exercise. 5 x 1 ( 5mks)
Qualities of a good waistband:-
- The width is even all around
- The band is flat and firm
- Stitches made are strong , firm and neat.
- Fits comfortably around the waist of the wearer.
- The interfacing lies flat inside the waistband.
- Flat on R.S & W.s ( 5 x 1 )= (5mks)
- Reasons for finishing plain wooden surfaces
Differences between cotton and polyester fabrics.
- Cotton is resistant to high temps, while polyester is not
- Cotton is absorbent while polyester is not.
- Cotton does not generate static elec. While polyester does.
- Cotton shrinks with the 1st washing polyester does not.
- Cotton is not resistant to mildew while polyester is.
- Cotton lacks luster, polyester has.
- Cotton burns readily to flame, polyester melts slowly .
- Cotton is easily destroyed by strong acid while polyester resists weak acids.
- Cotton is a natural fibre whereas polyester is artificial.
Any 5 well done x 2 = (10mks)
- Should be resilient so that it is not tiring to stand on
- shd. Deaden sound.
- shd withstand grease
- Sh d with stand heat
- Should with stand frequent washing
- Should contain pressure from heavy equip 5 x 1 = 5 mks)
Purchasing labour saving equip
- Good quality to last long.
- Known brand whose spare parts can easily be obtained.
- Easy to understand, operate & maintain.
- shd. Not be noisy when in use.
- Shd have operations manual for ease of reference.
- size should suit the areas to be cleaned. 5 x 1 = (5mks)
- Differences between cotton and polyester fabrics.
Remedies of Needle breaking
- Use of straight needles.
- Remove pins tension
- Tighten the pressure foot b4 maching
- Use the correct foot for zig zag stitching
- Fix needle in place firmly
- Use the correct size of neele.
- Use the right needle for the work ( 5 x 1 = 5 mks)
- Disadvantages of convenience foods
- Have a lot of additives.
- More nutritive value is inferior to corresponding fresh foods - vits destroyed.
- Flavours are often inferior to those of fresh foods.
- Easily cause food poisoning.
- Likely to be contaminated during processing and packing.
Well explained . 5 x 1 = (5mks)
Modern methods of food preservations
- Solar / sun and Mechanical drying. Dehydration and improvised drying & smoking.
- Salting – meats, pork and fish.
- Use of vinegar – onions, green mangoes, cucumber, beetroot etc.
- Use of sugar – fruits
- Use of heat
- Bottling and canning
- Cooling – use low temperature - Milk
- Beet – freezing – well packed or wrapped before being frozen.
Making of a French seam.
- Put the two pcs. Of dress together with w.s. facing , R.S uppermost.
- Pin and tack, matching raw edges and fitting lines, 6mm above the F.L.
- Machine along the tacking, finish off threads ends and remove tacking.
- Trip turnings to 3mm and press open.
- Turn the work to w.s. & knife edges.
- With the R.S together, pin and tack along the F.L. enclosing raw edges completely.
- Remove tacking and press the seam over towards the back of the garment.
Well explained ½ x 5
Relevant diagrams ½ x 5 ( 5mks)
- Remedies of Needle breaking